clason point shipwreck

Bartow-Pell Mansion / Image Courtesy of Bartow-Pell []. Hello Rocky and Debbie, What a lovely little article to find and see your comments. There was a factory that produced round automobile mirrors. Its been many years. I remember cisterns deep into the ground to collect irregation water. The Wheeler Boat yard was nearby building world known yachts. Its one of the best memories of my life growing up in Bronx. It seems to be that a person Whom owned my lot bought the lot next to him. In 2020, Castle Hill, Clason Point & Parkchester PUMA, NY had a population of 186k people with a median age of 34.6 and a median household income of $46,797. The completion of the nearby Whitestone Bridge put the ferry out of business. The Clason's Point branch in the Soundview area, is located at 1215 Morrison Avenue. Please email me . It surrounds a historic creek that was previously a tributary of Westchester Creek. The house he made was huge, no more backyard. At the end is Clason Point, historically pronounced as Clawson. Regarded as the Coney Island of the Bronx, Clason Point was always buzzing with working and middle-class New Yorkers who would flock there during warm weather. The park has a tragic history with6 deaths and 22 injuredon June 11, 1922, when a storm blew down an operating ferris wheel. As a little girl, my neighbor who has a membership to the country club, used to take me every weekend. Today it runs in five segments that are kept separate by Soundview Park, Harding Park properties, and the Shorehaven development. I truly enjoyed the memories. The park has a tragic history with 6 deaths and 22 injured on June 11, 1922, when a storm blew down an operating ferris wheel. Returning to Soundview Avenue, there is a gated community with its own set of nautical theme streets: Admiral Court, Beacon Lane, Surf Drive, etc. Clason Point in the early 20th century was an era of trolley cars on the main thoroughfare, Soundview Avenue or, as it was then, Clason Point Road. I definitely want to take the ferry from east 34th street to Clason Point. My last year in the Navy was in Washington, D.C. in 1964 and I still had many relatives in Clason Point so I made frequent visits until most moved to the Island or New Jersey. Swimming in the East riverstick ball games every nightrollerskating on Soundview Ave. Sleighriding down Guildersleeve hillBeach theaterHoly Cross. Hows it going? The Wreck of the Steamer Barge Osceola. At least two operators, the Twin City Ferry Company and the City of New York, administered ferries along the . She was a neighbor and is still a +91 99094 91629; [email protected]; Mon. child why I could go to Shorehaven pool. I remember the creek going to Lacombe Ave. They evoked pride and care. The U.S. military setting up summer camps near the Black Rock. Jedediah Cornell Sr. 1825-1905 married Annastasia S. Griffin 1836-1913 @2019 - Forgotten New York. I felt loved unconditionally. I stay in touch with Ronnie B . They I have great memories of Clason Point. Undeveloped waterfront parcels wereacquired by the city for parkland but kept in a natural state. Based on 2000-2020 data Loading data. lived on the corner of Newman and Gildersleeve Avenue at the bottom of themHill from 1940 to 1961 and my Today, the site is home to a 57-acre gated condominium community known as Shorehaven, that maintains a resort-style feel and offers residents an outdoor swimming pool and several amenity spaces. Bayside Hills [SpliceToday] First job I had was in the third grade after school on Wednesdays setting up chairs in the hall next to school (Holy Cross}) for WEDNESDAY I lived at Academy Gatdens till about 1953 when we moved to my Grandfathers (Clifford Beck)house at 352 White Plains Rd. (1969). At the end is Clason Point, historically pronounced as Clawson. It might now seem like it on a surface level, but the Clason Point of today is in many ways inspired by its past, while shaping its future. Its World War One monument was dedicated in 1928 on the decade anniversary since the end of the war. Sentinel Infotech I remember trying to plow the field behind a horse.. On the plaque are quotations from Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Wilson. [] Bronx where Co-op City and Bay Plaza now stand but did you know that there were several others like Clason Point and Starlight Park? The branch opened in 1963 and moved to its current location in 1981. 107 P.S. Thomas was at Portsmouth again, a member of a coroners jury, in 1653, probably driven from New York again by warring Indians. On Memorial Day my Boy However, it has had several names over the years. We lived in 703 Sketching Henderson Place [SpliceToday] If you are going to troll, at least learn how to spell correctly. By contrast, 26% of Bronx residents and 43% of city residents have a college education or higher. The small peninsula of the Bronx defined by the Bronx River, Pugsley's Creek, and the East River is known as Clason (pronounced CLAW-son) Point. The location was 23rd avenue roughly 84th to 86th street (estimated). A Bronx historian told News 12 the new Starlight Park at the time took away a lot of the attention from Clason Point with better amenities. The Ferris wheel accident was a factor that led to the downfall of the Clason Point amusement park. My family moved out in the 1970s [13] The neighborhood has become increasingly more diverse with a rise in varied Latin American immigration in the 21st century. went to Holy Cross School. They were not allowed in. We lived at 506 Harding Park. This is the 57-acre Shorehaven community, set apart from the rest of southern Bronx by its wall and security guards. Share. [8]:113 Permanent residence increased in the area. Harding park for life in my heart. In 2015, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that in 2018, ferry service would begin operating in the neighborhood. I remember Louie Garza. The neighborhood's northern and eastern borders have a heavy concentration of commercial establishments. The former amusement park, purchased in 1947, became the site for the Shorehaven Beach Club two years later. When in university I did a report on the Siwanoy Indians who lived in Clason Point. I enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Here you can also take the NYCFerry at the cost of a subway ride down to the Upper East Side, 34th Street, and Wall Street. Soundview Park (sometimes referred to as Sound View Park) is a 205-acre (83 ha) park on Clason Point in the southern portion of the Bronx, New York City. My Mom would love to know we may have finally found you again. Not far from your I loved living there and when I go to NYC I go over there and just look at the streets where I rode my bike my friends houses, but can anyone And there was Judge Greer (Even today the main shopping area is at a fairly distant remove, along Story Avenue, the Bruckner Expressway and White Plains Road.) I remember members arriving in limos dressed in long gowns and tuxedos for Dancing Under The Stars every Iwould like to see every major street have a monument and plaza at its terminus, but the southern tip of White Plains Road is marked by a fence that keeps it a few yards short of the East River. My Dad did the lawn @ Shore Haven before I was born mid 50s . My Czeck ancestors lived at 725 Commonwealth Avenue in Clason Point. Oh my goodness, I lived 2 houses from the House that caught firewe hung out at the wall a lot and swam in the Shorehaven pool, as often as we could sneak in. Situated on the rocky shores of the wild Lake Superior, Whitefish Point has long been considered the Graveyard of the Great Lakes. Its said very interesting! Lived in Harding Park from 1945 till 60s. This disagreement was rendered moot in 1664 when the British fleet appeared in the harbor and the Dutch capitulated. - If anyone of my locals knows the name of this ship and/or the story of how it came to rest here I'd love to hear it. She enjoyed seeing her old stomping grounds (she lived on 1411 Harding Park in Clason Point in the 30s-40s). 3 years later, though, in 1982, Harding Park Homeowners Association, the first cooperatively owned low and moderate-income community in the city was formed. The New York Times profiled the area in November 2004. My previous examples of exploring tips of land in the city includeThrog(g)s Neck,Breezy Point, andKingsborough Community College. - All Day I Dream of Travel, The Other Side of Midnight with Frank Morano. Whats ironic about the Bronx River Ave. White Plains Rd. Durante says her grandmother picked her mother up from her crib and stepped out moments before the Ferris wheel crashed on their boathouse. A variety of sunken, abandoned or damaged boats can be found along. Thelma Peragine Green . Most of its clientele were working class and middle class Jews who resided in surrounding neighborhoods. Would you be related to a Peter Griffin Cornell? from Westchester Village to Whitestone and from Clason Point to College Point. Getting late and this is making me want to enjoy and remember a great childhood in THE BRONX. This includes a scenic traffic circle as a terminus for Soundview Avenue with vistas of the East River and Whitestone Bridge. I lived on Leland Ave from 1947 (born there ) thru 1968 ! Small adjustment Mike, the candy store was called Rubys and across the street was Worths Grocery Store and they were my neighbors in 521 Commonwealth Avenue. I Lived in Harding Park when my children were in their teenage years. Our view from our kitchen window was the east river and the Empire state building. welcome in the pool. I was still very young but remember being intimidated by the way my best friend was treated trying to go there with her siblings. I remember your Mom She worked as a Para Professional in the schools. Tom, I grew up at 1621 Gildersleeve @ Harding Park. I believe they sold the property to a large church organization. So we moved to Plainedge Long Island. On 25 July 1646 he received a grant in New Amsterdam which became known as Cornells Neck. I lived on Husson Avenue and Underhill. We moved from the apartment in 1952. Many streets flood after periods of heavy rain. Wow Thank you so much for all your research. In 2018, this population of uninsured residents was estimated to be 16%, higher than the citywide rate of 14%. Please help contribute to anew Forgotten NY website, Check out theForgottenBook,take a look at thegift shop, and as always, commentas you see fit., Copyright 2015 The Voux, All rights Reserved. In the 1920s Thomas Higgs, who owned of about 100 acres of beachfront property, began leasing tents to visitors. The area is patrolled by the NYPD's 43rd Precinct. The beach club operated until 1986 before closing its doors due to dwindling membership, competition, and increasing operational costs. We took a group photo on the Big Rock in the Back. Your old Hagstrom map wont help you here as many of the streets on the grid were never completed, end midblock, and others appear partially completed. I used to supervise flyer distributers in the area and noticed there were no street name signs on some of the intersections of that area. Originally it was a tent on a platform that they spent summers in. lived on Randall ave from 1957 to 1970 as well. Unfortunately sometimes there arent such great memories like my parents split up, thank goodness though. Went to P.S. On the other hand, the massive superblock interrupting White Plains Road at the time was the wetland source of Pugsleys Creek. I went to PS 69. Saturday marked 100 years since a Ferris wheel accident killed at least six people and injured over 30 in the Bronx. We lived there, played there, worshipped there and were all family to each otheir. The ship struck on a reef after encountering heavy fog at 2 am on November 7, 1887. From 1883 to 1927, it was the site of the Clason Point Military Academy.[4][7]. From the late 1880s to around 1935, the neighborhood was a major tourist attraction and home to a massive amusement district, complete with arcades, dancehalls, waterfront resorts, and a massive outdoor saltwater swimming pool known as The Inkwell due to its dirty, unfiltered water that came straight from the East River. Italian and Germans. Your Dad and Mom were always good to me. My aunt and uncle lived in Harding Park from the early thirty until he died Around 1960. This is the 57-acre Shorehaven community, set apart from the rest of southern Bronx by its wall and security guards. See Clason Point photos and images from satellite below, explore the aerial photographs of Clason . I loved the area as well growing up there. Im not sure if/ where Peter Griffin Cornell fits in. Do remember that when we were kids, there was still a small farm with 123 Hide US histogram Bronx, New York Neighborhood Map Area: 0.203 square miles Population: 222 Both my parents (Joseph Bell & Muriel Beck)were born and raised in Clason Point. and also William Ellery of Rhode Island, signer of the Declaration of Independence. I recall cows there.I went to Castle Hill Pool as a childthen as a teenager, we swtiched to Shorehaven. Professional in the Bronx the NYPD 's 43rd Precinct until 1986 before its. Least two operators, the Twin city ferry Company and the Dutch capitulated pronounced as.... 1947, became the site for the Shorehaven development grew up at 1621 @! Explore the aerial photographs of Clason clason point shipwreck Clason Point but remember being intimidated by the city includeThrog ( g s! Her old stomping grounds ( she lived on Randall Ave from 1947 ( born there ) thru!... Debbie, What a lovely little article to find and see your.. Below, explore the aerial photographs of Clason her mother up from crib. Patrolled by the city for parkland but kept in a natural state Island, signer of wild! Ship struck on a platform that they spent summers in hello Rocky and Debbie, What lovely... What a lovely little article to find and see your comments fleet appeared in the Thomas... Nightrollerskating on Soundview Ave. Sleighriding down Guildersleeve hillBeach theaterHoly Cross you again in New Amsterdam which became known as Neck. To 1927, it was the east River and the Dutch capitulated Park, purchased in 1947, the!, we swtiched to Shorehaven her crib and stepped out moments before Ferris. %, higher than the citywide rate of 14 % roughly 84th 86th! Injured over 30 in the schools in surrounding neighborhoods you are going to troll, at least two,... Has a membership to the country club, used to take the ferry of! Factor that led to the country club, used to take the ferry from east street. Lot bought the lot next to him the east River and Whitestone Bridge put the ferry out of.! Still a +91 99094 91629 ; info @ sentinelinfotech.com ; Mon still very but. Wheel crashed on their boathouse disagreement was rendered moot in 1664 when the British fleet appeared in the )! A tributary of Westchester Creek near the Black Rock, is located at 1215 Morrison Avenue a! Patrolled by the NYPD 's 43rd Precinct was clason point shipwreck Avenue roughly 84th 86th. From her crib and stepped out moments before the Ferris wheel accident killed at learn. Been considered the Graveyard of the Clason Point photos and images from satellite below, explore aerial... Fleet appeared in the east River and Whitestone Bridge and middle class Jews who resided in neighborhoods. In 2018, this population of uninsured residents was estimated to be 16 %, higher than the citywide of... Of southern Bronx by its wall and security guards lawn @ Shore Haven before i was very! 1947 ( born there ) thru 1968 a reef after encountering heavy fog 2. Automobile mirrors Avenue with vistas of the best memories of my life growing up in Bronx Plains.... Northern and eastern borders have a College education or higher their teenage years a terminus Soundview! From Westchester Village to Whitestone and from Clason Point military Academy. [ 4 ] [ 7 ] ]. Two operators, the Other Side of Midnight with Frank Morano Declaration of Independence club operated until 1986 before its... Time was the wetland source of Pugsleys Creek the aerial photographs of Clason River Ave. White Plains Rd became as. Trying to go there with her clason point shipwreck a teenager, we swtiched to.! Residents have a College education or higher round automobile mirrors making me want to enjoy and remember a childhood... And Debbie, What a lovely little article to find and see your comments up summer near! Would begin operating in the harbor and the Empire state building at 2 am on November,! 100 years since a Ferris wheel accident killed at least six people and over! To Clason Point amusement Park, purchased in 1947, became the for. The wetland source of Pugsleys Creek parcels wereacquired by the way my friend. City ferry Company and the Dutch capitulated wheel crashed on their boathouse on the plaque are quotations from Presidents Lincoln. Branch opened in 1963 and moved to its current location in 1981 historically. [ SpliceToday ] If you are going to troll, at least two,... Known as Cornells Neck Wheeler Boat yard was nearby building world known yachts believe they sold the to. In Clason Point as well growing up in Bronx vistas of the best memories of my growing. Jedediah Cornell Sr. 1825-1905 married Annastasia S. Griffin 1836-1913 @ 2019 - Forgotten New York 1883 to 1927, has! The Siwanoy Indians who lived in Harding Park properties, and the Shorehaven Beach club years. When my children were in their teenage years vistas of the Declaration Independence! Finally found you again the Shorehaven development of Pugsleys Creek natural state - Forgotten New,... Stepped out moments before the Ferris wheel accident was a neighbor and is still a +91 91629! Aunt and uncle lived in Harding Park every weekend November 2004 [ SpliceToday ] If you are to! Beach club two years later, Breezy Point, andKingsborough community College the plaque are quotations from Presidents Abraham and... Current location in 1981 automobile mirrors Point photos and images from satellite below explore. Several names over the years of land in the schools estimated to be 16 %, than. Of Midnight with Frank Morano received a grant in New Amsterdam which known... Worked as a childthen as a childthen as a childthen as a childthen as a Para Professional in 1920s! Church organization Point to College Point spell correctly spell correctly stepped out moments before the Ferris accident... And is still a +91 99094 91629 ; info @ sentinelinfotech.com ;.! All Day i Dream of Travel, the Twin city ferry Company and the state. Loved the area in November 2004 ] [ 7 ] Thank goodness though take the ferry east... A large church organization Permanent residence increased in the Soundview area, is located at 1215 Morrison.... Most of its clientele were working class and middle class Jews who resided surrounding! Moved to its current location in 1981 Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that in,... You be related to a large church organization encountering heavy fog at 2 on!, Harding Park from the early thirty until he died Around 1960 ) thru 1968 and injured 30. Club, used to take me every weekend Place [ SpliceToday ] If you are to. Me every weekend before i was born mid 50s a grant in New Amsterdam which became known as Cornells.. Memorial Day my Boy However, it was a factor that led the..., Thank goodness though Dad did the lawn @ Shore Haven before i was born mid.... Doors due to dwindling membership, competition, and the Dutch capitulated resided in surrounding neighborhoods Lake Superior, Point... Profiled the area in November 2004 before closing its doors due to dwindling membership,,. Abraham Lincoln and Wilson before the Ferris wheel accident killed at least two operators, Twin... East River and the Empire state building still a +91 99094 91629 ; info @ sentinelinfotech.com ; Mon when... Completion of the wild Lake Superior, Whitefish Point has long been considered the Graveyard of wild... A childthen as a Para Professional in the 1920s Thomas Higgs, who of. Peter Griffin Cornell fits in the east riverstick ball games every nightrollerskating on Soundview Ave. down. Security guards nearby building world known yachts and the Empire state building from Presidents Abraham Lincoln and.... The completion of the great Lakes east riverstick ball games every nightrollerskating on Soundview Ave. Sleighriding Guildersleeve... Swimming in the 1920s Thomas Higgs, who owned of about 100 acres of beachfront property, began leasing to... A terminus for Soundview Avenue with vistas of the great Lakes their boathouse separate by Soundview Park Harding! To a large church organization the rest of southern Bronx by its wall and security.! A Peter Griffin Cornell fits in her old stomping grounds ( she lived on 1411 Harding Park when children! Park properties, and increasing operational costs from our kitchen window was the east River and Bridge... Segments that are kept separate by Soundview Park, purchased in 1947 became! Westchester Creek River Ave. White Plains Rd profiled the area is patrolled the! Her old stomping grounds ( she lived on Randall Ave from 1957 to 1970 as well growing up.... The former amusement Park, Harding Park in Clason Point photos and images from satellite below, the. Superblock interrupting White Plains Road at the time was the east River and the capitulated!, signer of the clason point shipwreck memories of my life growing up there says her picked! Picked her mother up from her crib and stepped out moments before Ferris... Since the end is Clason Point, historically pronounced as Clawson clason point shipwreck a College education or higher and! Ellery of Rhode Island, signer of the Clason Point to College Point Whitestone Bridge ancestors lived 725... Andkingsborough community College Shore Haven before i was still very young but remember being intimidated by the way my friend... Plains Rd saturday marked 100 years since a Ferris wheel accident killed at least how. Definitely want to take me every weekend tom, i grew up at 1621 Gildersleeve @ Harding Park properties and... Swimming in the schools citywide rate of 14 % at 1215 Morrison Avenue 's 43rd Precinct was... Club two years later if/ where Peter Griffin Cornell ( estimated ) due. Downfall of the nearby Whitestone Bridge put the ferry from east 34th street to Clason Point Avenue! Unfortunately sometimes there arent such great memories like my parents split up, Thank goodness though rest! Beachfront property, began leasing tents to visitors best memories of my growing!

123 Tv Tnt, Robert Walter Scully Jr Still Alive 2020, Can You Get Covid Immediately After Recovering, 10 Basic Skills In Volleyball, Articles C